held every Tuesday evening from 7:15pm in the Sunday School of
Ballabeg Methodist Chapel and at Wednesday afternoons at Port
Erin Catholic Church Hall from
A new scissor sharpening service has started on the Isle of Man. Leading Edge Sharpening charge £10 to sharpen dressmaking/tailoring scissors. Phone 07624493253
Workshops are held frequently. Each workshop costs £20 to members unless otherwise specified.
See our Calendar Page for more details.
The latest Newsletter can be downloaded in pdf form by clicking on the news picture on the left.
You will need Adobe Reader to be installed before you can view or print the Newsletter.
Sadly, one of our founding members, Thelma Davidson, died in October 2016. You can see a tribute to her by clicking here.
The tombola was drawn on 25th September 2016 at New Generation. Below are Wendy Turner and Anne, the owner of New Generation.
Dave Horwill of DH Sewing Machines is still operating for both repairs and
servicing of sewing machines. His phone numbers in case you need his very competent services are:- 834901 / 218311.
He is now the agent for Bernina and Horne Sewing cabinets. Chris has a catalogue and price list.
European Connoisseurs Travel (ECT) is now a partner with The Quilters’ Guild
Have you ever fancied going to the wonderful quilting events held in the UK and Europe, but felt too daunted at the prospect of doing the organisation – well help is at hand!
European Connoisseurs Travel (ECT) have teamed up with The Quilters’ Guild to create a programme of group tours to quilting events nationally and internationally, making them more accessible, value for money and fun, with many included benefits. With over 20 years experience in taking care of all the short-break travel needs of special interest groups, you can rely on us to do all the organising so that you can focus on enjoying yourself.
As a tour organiser, you can choose from either our new range of quilting themed tours, or you can customise an itinerary for your own group. Our tours will be open to all, with discounts for Guild members.
We take groups by coach, plane or Eurostar, arrange 3-4* accommodation and provide experienced tour guides to ensure the itinerary runs smoothly. Extra considerations, such as dinner, excursions, customised itineraries and special requests can be accommodated as part of the travel plan.
Our first trips will be Expo Veldhoven in The Netherlands in May and the Open European Quilt Championships also in Veldhoven, in October. The attached brochures provide the exciting details of these excellent tours. We will be adding further tours shortly including one to the European Patchwork Meeting in Alsace, France, and UK tours featuring the Quilt Museum and Gallery in York.
Organising a group tour can be very rewarding, creating the opportunity for your group members to have a shared inspirational experience whilst making happy memories. So to help you to get started, we have come up with a few pointers:
How do I begin to organise a tour?
• Choose an event that will appeal and be possible for the majority of people. Contact us or look at our website for ideas, www.ecttravel.com. Consider which dates will suit people for travelling in your group.
• Keep your itinerary simple – it’s better to take the time to enjoy your time away than to be constantly rushing around. Adding an extra night can be a good idea if you want to pack more in, but be sure to consider the extra cost.
How do I motivate people to join the tour?
• We can provide you with A5 flyers to put into your mailings, and can provide text which can be uploaded onto your social media sites. In addition we can supply booking forms to give to interested parties. We advise setting short deadlines for receiving deposits from those interested – this will encourage people to make a decision rather than leaving it till late.
What benefits are received when booking?
• There is a saving of £10 when booking if you are a Quilters’ Guild member, family and friends are welcome too and would pay the non-member price. The booking form will have a tick-box to indicate if you are a Guild member or not.
• As an added bonus we also offer one free place per 20 paying passengers, the 21st passenger goes free! This saving can be deducted from the total cost, offset against the organiser’s tour or possibly offered as a raffle prize.
How many people can I have in my group?
• With regard to our advertised tours, we work on a minimum of 25, and tend to quote prices for groups of 25, 30 and 35 – see brochures attached. However, we can take larger numbers if more people want to come!
• The tour price per person reduces the bigger the group.
What if I can’t get enough people to join the tour?
• Let us help you. Here at ECT we have a large database of small groups and individuals who would like to join a group tour. We can open the details of your tour to a wider audience.
When can I confirm the tour?
• Give advance warning to your group members as to when you will need deposits and final payments by. Keep a note of any monies received as well as any extras they request such as meals or optional excursions. We can provide a spreadsheet to help you and will be on hand if calculations are proving tricky.
• Completed booking forms and a deposit should be sent to the ECT contact below by an agreed date and your tour will be confirmed to you shortly after this. It will be at this time that we will be able to confirm exact pick up locations based on where the enquiries have come from. Pick up locations will be close to exiting transport routes.
• In the event that we do not get sufficient numbers to travel we will speak to you about alternative arrangements. If these are not suitable, you may cancel your booking and receive a full refund.
I would like to book/organise a tour - how do I contact ECT?
Theresa McDermott, CEO on 0800 2980588 or via email@example.com
Remember if you have a potential trip in mind and it is not one of our advertised tours, get in touch for an informal chat as we would be delighted to look at putting a customised itinerary together for your group.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or queries.
Owls created at the regular Tuesday meeting on July 24th 2012.
Thanks to Sadie Yeoman's pattern and Chris's expert help.
Laa Columb Killey Quilt Display
Pictures from the Mannin Quilters display at Laa Columb Killey held in a very muddy field in awful weather on June 28th 2012. They survived the mud and the rain but left before the barbecue was lit!
From left to right are Cecilia, Kelly; Pam, Kelly and Joy
made from mostly
silk remnants from my clothes, worn in Temburong, the separate
jungle district of Brunei. The stained glass koi carp
were made in the Isle of Man. The quilt is decorated with
Asian bling and the pirate's chest with old
Quilters anniversary quilt, project led by Kelly Brindley with
the help of all the members.